Monday, December 1, 2008

What's your superpower?

Rowan,

Your mom is going to look really hard at finding a shirt that says "I make milk. What's your superpower?"

The start to our breastfeeding journey was quite scary at first, but not because I was afraid you wouldn't grasp the idea of breastfeeding. After day 4 , mama was producing milk but it wasn't coming down. My fears were confirmed when I took you to the doctor and they told me you'd lost a bit too much weight. Many people from church prayed for a change in this situation and thank God that the very next day things started progressing smoothly. Still, I was no Elsie the cow. I could put out an ounce *maybe*. It all depended on how much you nursed from both sides whether or not I could get anything. After thinking about it I decided I'd try something new:

Nurse you from one side while I simultaneously pumped the other. SCORE! I was able to get 2.5 ounces the first time! The idea grew out of something I read in a book : "think of your baby while you pump at work as it can help make the flow of your milk release easier." Since I"m not working outside of home I figured it would be easier to just have you actively nursing while I pumped. This has been so great for us that now I"m able to store at least 4-5 ounces (one small bottle) per day for you. Why am I doing this if I'm not returning to work outside of home?

See the photo below. Nursing for me is more than just saving money on formula (although I joke that IS a pretty darn good reason to do it since everything is so expensive these days!) I nurse to not only provide you with nutrients that formula just can't provide you with but to experience a bond with you that won't happen any other time in your life.




Pumping and storing breastmilk for you also means that daddy can feed you and you will feel confident that when you are hungry mommy isn't the only person who is going to fill your tummy. At first I was worried that you'd hate the concept, but you eagerly accept both the "real thing" and the bottle and don't have a problem switching back and forth as needed.


Besides, breastmilk is also the reason you have these adorable cheeks that we can kiss all the time. Why would I stop the milk factory when I get to smooch em !?!

and woo hoo..a new picture of us together (momma is always the one taking the pics, but daddy took this one.) You were ready to get into your pj's and eat!



I had to come back tonight and add this photo - here you are laying on the floor in the living room just like mama does when she sleeps. Yes, I love to sleep with my arms above me and taking up as much space as possible. I rock. You rock too.

No comments:

 

For Rowan David | Desenvolvido por EMPORIUM DIGITAL